Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Post 2 out of 5- Table Tennis


Hello everyone... once again. Well, today nothing much happened during lessons today. . Learned some new stuff in Biology, did some project work during HMT, filed up some english paper and of course the amazing OPW lesson in the IT lab.
After school, i went to play table tennis with my classmates. When there was about four of us left, i continued playing and playing, training my weak backhand. However, when there was a chance to smack, i would just seize the opportunity and try to get the crucial points and half the time, the ball will go out of bounds . Not long after, my classmates have discovered my style of playing and stepped back counter my smash. The counterattack, which is usually fast and also has spin to it, will always catch me off guard and cause me to hit the ball out, causing me points.

When i was playing a match, all of a sudden, i don't know why, i had a brainwave. When there was a chance to smack the ball, i resisted the urge and tried as hard as i could to hit lightly. That proved to work well and it 'stunned' my opponent. From then on , i smack at random times so that my opponent could not figure out the pattern.

Come to think of it, i feel that i have improved drastically since i first started playing table tennis. I remember vaguely that i used to served super high balls and i would get defeated even when my opponents did not take me seriously. In one way or another, i felt that table tennis has helped me to be more patient towards other people. I used to be very stubborn and grew impatient easily. For example, in my first year in VS, there were always long queues in front of the chicken rice stall. I tried queuing to buy the delicious ( seriously, it tastes fantastic) chicken rice but after 5 minutes, I grew very impatient and left the queue. The same concept applies for table tennis. If i keep attacking and smacking, the ball may go out, giving the opponent some easy points. From this experience, I realised that the crux to winning in table tennis is to be patient and not to be too aggressive. Sometimes, it is good for you to smack, sometimes it is not. Well, that brings me to the end of another post. See ya all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment